Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyonsy_gw

Goji berries

lyonsy
13 years ago

I planted a goji berry shrub 2 years ago and it has grown to 7ft high. However the leaves are constantly getting stripped. Any suggestions as to what might be doing that. I only watered on occasion. Should I water regularly?

Thanks

JOhn

Zone 10

Comments (12)

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

I don't know...mine is doing well in dry condition, I never water it.

• lyonsy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Konrad...Here in Southern CA we do not get rain from March til Nov so I think I should have watered them a little better!

• Scott F Smith
    13 years ago

John, I don't know what kind of animals you have but the deer are particularly fond of goji leaves. I was out with our puppy at 5AM this morning and two deer were munching on them. My plants are pretty much picked clean on parts deer can reach. I have heard the leaves are tasty, a Vietnamese friend told me the large-leafed goji are highly regarded for medicinal properties.

Scott

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

Scott,
    when is the best time to plant it in our area? is Fall okay? not sure how cold hardy it is.

Bass

• iammarcus
    13 years ago

I would bet the offenders are deer, they're everywhere. I have to put chicken wire around all my young trees. I currently need to expand the size of my enclosures as the trees have out grown them and the wire is interfering with their growth.

• lyonsy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am in an urban environment and there are no deer whatsoever. its a bug of some sort I would think.

John

• TOM A Z5a-IL.
    13 years ago

I have seen the leaves stripped off my goji's twice this year. I have taken numerous pictures of american gold finch and house finches eating the leaves. Good luck ever getting any berries. I cut nine of ten down this spring leaving one for the birds and planting 5 newly grafted apple trees in their place.
    Tom

• lyonsy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tom

That makes sense. I have lots of birds especially finches since they love my multi-headed sunflowers. I will cage the entire plant and see if that will help.

• Scott F Smith
    13 years ago

Bass, I think Goji are plenty hardy so either fall or spring is OK; fall preferred if you can find plants. I don't know if my plants are ever going to amount to anything, they are pretty scrawny and all the munching on them is not helping.

Scott

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

Yes they are hardy, I'm zone 3 and producing fruit's...

{{gwi:123681}}

• yagoda11
    9 years ago

Wolfberry plants grow in zones 3-10. In the north, plant just after the average last hard frost date. They can be planted up to about one month prior to the first hard frost date in the fall. But you can also plant in containers or store in the refrigerator until its time to plant. If you live in an area that has frost you can plant any time during the summer and even the fall as long as you have enough days for it to set some roots. Then mulch heavy and the root should spring up in spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: goji berries

• greendumb
    9 years ago

I water mine each day with a shallow water routine.
    All my small leaves are disappearing and I finally saw house finches taking them.
    They are full of fruit and I know it will all go to the birds unless I bird net them.
    Curved billed thrasher are smart enough to get under the netting so I think I will have to use fabric pins to tighten it to the ground.
    I apply 21.0.0 every ten days and am finally getting new leaves.
    It is the only plant that the birds remove young leaves from.