Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Blackberry Soil?

Posted by KendraSchmidt none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 22:37

I have a border that has builder's sand and rocks along it. I would like to dig up part of it to plant Blackberry Vines.

I've acquired cow manure, sand for gardening, ashes, and peat moss. I would like to use some of this to REPLACE the builder's sand and rocks to prepare the space for a planting next year (I've read that I have to wait a year before planting the vines).

Can someone PLEASE advise me as to:

1) What is the best mixture for the Blackberry Vines using the items I mentioned in the earlier paragraph?

2) Is it okay for me to replace the builder's sand and rocks with cow manure and the other items I mentioned? I won't have access to compost for some time and I don't have a neighbor who has it and I don't have a store that has it.

I've been told I have to first test the pH, but I want to remove what's there right now and replace it...So if someone could PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE suggest the perfect soil recipe for these Blackberry Vines, I'd really appreciate it. I'm in Zone 8a, if that's helpful.

Thanks so much folks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Blackberry Soil?

Go heavy with cow manure and sand if go real heavy you have rise in sand ph. I stay away from moss not needed. A liquid iron in small amount be needed. A lot cow it hold water better its mostly organ matter fertilizer with 10-10-10 complete fertilizer has all metals needed for plants. Blackberry plants heavy feeder.
Cow manure low in nitrogen, phosphorus, and potash 1-1-1 so use a lot your sand color should be soil black that way look as good soil for blackberries black sand. Chicken manure 3-3-3 make even better mix with sand fresh is best chick are cow if smell nasty its good if no smell its organic matter no value feed berry plants.

o

That's right, don't use the peat moss. The ashes won't help much, either.

Sandy soil might be hard to keep watered properly. See if you can get ahold of some ordinary soil, that should be half of your mixture.

o

Gator Rider, thanks for your follow up. I had a really hard time understanding some of the sentences. Is there anyone out there who can please help by clarifying?

Also, general question to everyone: How far down do I have to dig? To replace the builder's sand with the soil mixture for the blackberries?? PLEASE, if someone could help, I'd appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here