Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions Regarding Sun and Containers.

Posted by tmunson 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 22:42

Two questions:

1. I grow mainly peaches, nectarines, pears, and a few apples/pluots/apricots/etc. About half of my trees are potted in half wine barrels and the other half are in the ground. Are there any of these species that do notably better in containers versus the others? Or is it more of a variety to variety issue rather than species to species? I keep all of my trees dwarfed to eight feet or so

2. Of the aforementioned varieties, is there any variance in the amount of sun needed? I have some spots in my yard that get full sun and a few spots that probably only get 4 hours at the peak of summer. All of the trees experience the wonderful baking heat in the summer, if that matters.

Thanks for your time!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions Regarding Sun and Containers.

Make sure the trees in pots are on full dwarf rootstock. This makes them last a lot longer in pots, and can lessen the need to root prune (bonsai methods). Most of no all fruiting trees can grow in large pots if on dwarfing rootstock

As for sun, most fruit trees do indeed need all day sun during growth. The thing is, most plants dont like full, hot sun, for the hwole 12 - 18 hour summer day. You can get away with dappled light for a bit, as well as some shade in the morning or afternoon, but they should get the EQUIVALENT of 6 - 8 hours of sun a day. That could be direct in the afternoon, or lightly dappled light all day.

Most trees dont mind shade in the winter. If anything its better for the trunks.

o

Putting the trees in pots will have a dwarfing effect on them no matter if it is on a dwarfing rootstock or not.

The sun that really matters for a fruit tree is from 10:00-2:00. If the tree gets that full sun exposure during that time period it will do just fine with some shade earlier or later.

o

Yes, a dwarfing affect on the tree above ground, which, the tree ill constantly fight to gain proper size, and the roots will still try to expand wider then the drip line.

Dwarfing rootstocks make the job easier. Its easier to grow a tree that maxes out at 6 - 8 feet in a pot, then a tree that wants to grow to 12 - 15+ (semi dwarf).

Its the same as houseplants. Some even "like to be pot bound" like some ficus, but even then, if lef in a pot too small, it will suffer eventually. Ficus tend to break pots from my experience leaving them.

I never said you CANT grow anything other then dwarf trees in pots, its just making LESS WORK for yourself, and trying to make the trees last as long as possible without stress.

Smaller tree = smaller root system = easier to grow in pots

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here