Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poncirusguy6b452xx

anemic looking leaves, tree grow fast

poncirusguy6b452xx
10 years ago

My in ground stone fruit trees seem to have a foliage problem even though they grow with vigor. I have been fertilizing with miracle grow with micros. I feed fairly regularly per instruction. the leaves start out moderate to light green and deteriorate with age. My plums are hardest hit then come my peach trees followed by my montmorency sour cherries. Any help would be appreciated.

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 23:09

Comments (7)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Stop using the miracle grow! Fertilize twice a year only!
    You have weak growth, now susceptible to pest attack as it is weak and easy prey. Huge mistake!
    Newly planted trees should not be fertilized until the 2nd year. Or give a super light dose in the spring. Granular like tree tone should be used. Synthetic fertilizers like miracle grow are great for potted culture, but in ground plants organic is a better method. Even in potted culture one should never give full strength, about 1/2 to 1/4 dose every watering, depending on how often you water. Organic in ground is better because it slowly releases as bacteria make nutrients available, and doesn't over feed the plant.

Your plants BTW need full sun, like all day. Some of the discoloration could be from lack of sun. But feeding it every other week, will weaken the plants too.

You don't even have to fertilize trees, but if you want to, fertilize in the spring before bud break. And in the fall after leaf fall. Light amount of organic granules only. Spread under the mulch. Usually one cup for every inch of diameter. If less than one inch, one cup, around the drip zone. See what directions say on Tree Tone or whatever "tree" fertilizer you choose. Tree fertilizer only!

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 23:34

• AJBB
    10 years ago

Looks like a pH problem with your rootstock.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"Looks like a pH problem with your rootstock."

You are correct that could be a symptom of a pH problem, but the statement about following miracle grow instructions is concerning.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your help. The cherries and peaches are on their own roots The plums are from homedepot and listed as full size trees. The picture above is a red haven peach seed sprout that came up about 2-3 weeks ago. I will start out next year with out the miracle grow.

Thanks Steve

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Steve,

Good luck, sorry to be so rude. Make sure they get as much sun as possible. it's OK to use Miracle Grow in the spring one time, If you don't have any organic tree stuff, use it. Normal dose is OK for one time. Best not use in fall though. That should be enough. If in ground mulch around tree with bark.

Also you may not know but hybrid trees may not come out true to seed. For example it may have been pollinated by an almond tree, and you would get a peach-almond hybrid
    It is self fertile, so a good chance it can come out true to red haven..
    Also normally growers graft peaches unto a hardy rootstock. This helps the tree grow better. usually the rootstock is more tolerable of wet or dry soil, sandy or clay soils. And may have better disease resistance. Growing on it's own roots can be done, but it may not grow as well. It depends on conditions. Good luck!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Drew51 I did not take your post as rude at all but quick and to the fact. Your point of a peach getting pollinated by an almond is very important and something I would have never thought of. I did however chose out my family owned orchard to purchase my peaches through which I harvested my seeds. The peaches were delicious and at a good price. I plan to top graft the cherry trees with true montmorency scion. The peaches usually produce very good fruit from seed and I get good harvest on their 3rd year. Peach trees have a short life from 1 to 8 years, then its out with the old and in with the new. I put out new tree every year and they grow produce, and die with their 2 year old replacement on its way. All from seed.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Steve,

Wow, impressive! I like to grow brambles from seed. Unusual species, not just raspberries and blackberries. Many species in the Rubus genus are very cool plants. Most produce fruit. Some are ornamental.
    I also grow many vegetables from seed. Most are easy but a few are difficult. Brambles are tough, and a challange.