Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Apple tree care

poaky1
11 years ago

My dad purchased 3 Macintosh semi-dwarf trees several years ago. I like oaks and know how to prune them, which is easy, they are pretty much naturally good structured without any pruning, you just make so you can walk underneath etc. He hasn't really payed any attention to the apple trees. I tried to prune them. I opened up the center and cut off alot of the ends of branches to the root collar as with shade trees. He got mad and said not to take all that wood off. He got 3 apples this year. They were not too small or too big. Am I cutting off where the fruit would be next season if I pruned this fall? One of these trees is growing horizontally it leaned and was impossible to fix, it was big and heavy when it leaned. The soil may be too moist where it is and rooted shallowly. It had tiny bug ridden fruit the year before last. I need to know how to care for it because my dad isn't interested in caring for it but wants them there. The wild tree parts are sprouting up, can I let the true form take over and still get apples? It is in an area where size isn't a concern. It will eventually be sort of wild and out of the way from our house but still being mowed and kept free of weeds taking over, with oaks and shade plants, sorry for rambling. Do I need to prune to get med/large apples? I hate grafted trees, they always get wild sprouts, can I just let the natural wild Macintosh take over and get apples to please wildlife, and maybe a few for us? These trees will not be in much shade when the oaks mature, they will have late day shade only.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths