Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Signs of an early Autum here in California?

Posted by Itheweatherman USDA 8b, Elevation 2 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 23:05

This is weird, my mulberry tree (and my neighbor's, too) might be confused? The leaves are already turning yellow.

Here in California (High Desert area) the trees shed their leaves around Mid-October----I believe that Fall might arrive earlier than normal. We (Here in California) might have cooler temps by Mid-September.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Signs of an early Autum here in California?

My mulberry drops leaves steadily throughout the summer, I suspect due to lack of water. Sure isn't cooling down here yet - finally started heating up the last week or two.

o

I agree with yukkuri, you can get this anytime on pretty much any deciduous tree. Usually due to some drought stress, or sometimes low nitrogen.

Of course, trees can't "predict" an early autumn, but rather react to the onset of colder temps. So the weather itself will be the first clue...

o

The Eastern Sierra is turning early this year too from the reports I have heard, same with Yosemite, but it is due to water stress. It is what commonly happens in a dry year, likewise a wet year and it might be a late fall.

o

Early fall color is often due to too little water, be that rainfall or irrigation.

o

I don't think the changing leaves are an indicator, but the decreased sunspot activity might cause us to have a cold winter. Sunspot activity and weather changes are still under study. it appears that increased activity does increase temps. But that conclusion is not evidence until we understand the process. If correct the winters sould be getting colder and colder until about 2020. But the uptick at that time will be short. We are entering a long term decrease in activity. Many predict a mini- ice age. The last mini ice age lasted 300 years. Currently sunspot activity is at an 8 thousand year low. The exact relationship between sunspots and weather is unclear. This peroid will help us understand that relationship better. Just like global warming we are unclear as to what is causing it. The planet Mars temps are also way up as were ours. Although most believe it is manmade it is not proven and still a theory. In any event I think the current cool spell will continue adding to the confusion. This decrease in sunspots just started we are averaging about 66 a year, in 2000 it was 175.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here