Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newly planted fruit trees

Posted by nufdawg Southern California (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 23:06

I recently planted the following 5 gallon fruit trees : a semidwarf haas avocado, loquat, eureka lemon, moro blood orange, black mission fig and a passion fruit vine. I have had them in the ground for 7 day. I have good soil and amended a little with compost. I have been watering each tree with1.5 gallons a day and I will now switch over to every 3 days. I have planted all these trees in a very sunny location with no shade. I have mulched each tree , staying about 3-4 inches from the roots. A few observations : 1) the loquat and avocado trees have had a few leaves drop
2) the eureka lemon seems to be yellowing a bit
3) the blood orange has quite a bit of new growth
4) the fig seems to be have not changed much
5) the passion fruit is also yellowing and has a few bug bites in its leaves

My question is are these normal growth signs for newly planted trees or is my watering and the consant sun having an effect on these baby trees ? I live in the Pomona area

thanks !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newly planted fruit trees

I think you answered you own questions. You were watering too much at first (daily for inground tree is too much unless you planted during some 100 degree heat wave).

Also, the plants can have transplant shock, not surprising to see some leaf drop. I've have two Guavas totally drop their leaves upon planting only to regrow them over a few weeks time.

Fig won't grow much it's going dormant soon. The others are evergreen.

Passionfruit is a vine, you'll need something for it to climb (trellis, chain link fence, etc)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here