Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curtiskw

How to make applesause

curtis
9 years ago

Someone asked me about this, so I'm posting it here in case it will help someone else.

Applesauce is a great way to use overripe, bruised or buggy apples and pears. It's not that hard but many people don't know how to do it.

Here is how we do it at my house. We bought a Victorio food strainer. You can get a similar attachment if you have a Kitchenaide mixer, there are other units available too. The Victorio has a kits with 3 or 4 hole sizes so you can also do raspberries. With the victorio it gets old turning the crank by hand. So you can cut the crank handle so that you can put the drive part in your drill. I run ours probably about one revolution per second. I don't know if it would be bad to go faster, I just play it safe, and it doesn't take long at this speed.

Cut the apples or pears into chunks, the smaller the better. I mix all types of apples together; over ripe, unripe, buggy, plus I mix pears into the same batch, ratio does not matter. On buggy I cut away the gross stuff. If the cores aren't buggy leave them, and leave the skins on.

The chunks have to be cooked. In a crock pot it takes like 4 hours. We have an electronic pressure cooker that holds 1.5 gal and set it for 7 minutes of cook time, but with heat up, de-pressure, and some cooling it is 45 min.

I do several batches through the cooker before we put through the food mill. We get 2-3 gal of sauce each time we do the mill. We do a mix of canning and freezing.

You can eat sauce straight, or add cinnamon to taste at the time of eating. There is one recipe for a sauce to put on top of it that I will add tomorrow, I have to ask the wife.

This post was edited by cckw on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 10:00

Comments (3)