Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asian Pear questions, dwarf and self pollinating?

Posted by missouri1 Z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 24, 09 at 23:20

I'm trying to find out if there is any kind of small self polinating Asian Pear tree to be had? Maybe a semi dwarf with two varieties grafted or something? I will have a tiny yard so something that won't take up space or need a pollinator would be so great!

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a tree like that? Asian Pears are my absolute favorite fruit!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asian Pear questions, dwarf and self pollinating?

Hello,
I love the Asian pears too Missouri. I have not had a lot of luck with asians on oldhome #333 which is a semidwarfing stock but I have had some luck with #97 and at least for me it has been pretty dwarfing. This may not be the case at all for you as my soil is so poor and limy that some stocks that are very vigorous elswhere may be more semidwarf here. I'll bet that asians on ohf#87 would likely do great for you and probably be much less vigorous than trees on Betulifolia or some seedling stock. As far as multigrafted trees they should do great for you but you may have to graft them yourself to get the combo that you want. Shinko/Korean Giant on ohf#87? Sounds great to me. Oh, forgot to say I think many asians may be self pollinating but I cant prove it because I have so many varieties.

Thanks,
Scape

o

You should have no trouble with Shinseiki. They are self pollinating and will probably have to be thinned to get decent size. I have two dwarfs that produce a bushel. I picked them about a month ago and they taste even better now than first picked.

o

Wish I had gotten a self pollinating tree. I purchased two nice trees 4 years ago and so far they have never flowered at the same time. Not one piece of fruit and they are both full of booms every year just not a the same time.

o

I bought a dwarf Shinseiki at Costco several years ago. It is now six feet tall and bearing lots of nashi. I don't know what rootstock it has. I don't have any other pears and haven't noticed any in the neighborhood.

Rain2Fall
Nashi Nosher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here