Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will pluots do okay in a large planter box?

Posted by brownmola San Diego (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 23:29

I have a small "retaining wall" box area (18" tall, 5 feet long, 30" wide) that I use for growing vegetables. I want to clear the area and use it to grow two semi-dwarf pluots as they are my favorite fruit. I have no space in the ground around my property as I have several other fruit trees. Will pluots do okay in a large container like this?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will pluots do okay in a large planter box?

They'll do OK at least for 5 years, probably longer. In 15 gal pots they need replanting every few years. After about 5 years without repotting the vigor drops below what is needed to make good fruit. Your planter is a lot bigger than a 15 gal pot so the trees should last longer.

You could get a multigrafted tree which might reduce root crowding. Getting the trees on Citation vs a more vigorous rootstock might help a little as well.

What are your favorite cultivars? Mine are (earliest to latest) Flavor Supreme, Geo Pride, Flavor Grenade, Flavor King, Flavor Finale, and Flavor Treat.

o
RE: Will pluots do okay in a large planter box?

Thanks fruitnut. I feel I'm a little limited as far as selection because of my location. I've been told that Flavor Grenade, Flavor King, Dapple Dandy, and Splash should be okay in my area because of their lower chill hours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here