Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are Ussurian pears good for?

Posted by nick_b79 z4 MN (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 5, 08 at 23:35

I collected some seed from a mature specimen at the local arboretum without knowing much about the species, but now I'm scratching my head with what to do with the seedlings. The tree itself is attractive in spring while flowering, but the fruit is apparently inedible by humans.

I have found in my readings that they are very resistant to fireblight. Can the seedlings be used as rootstock onto which other, edible pear varieties can be grafted onto? Otherwise, they'll be going out to the woods for the wildlife (will wildlife enjoy those rock-hard fruits?). Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are Ussurian pears good for?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 6, 08 at 18:54

Yes, I think this may be used for rootstock by some. Otherwise primarily an ornamental, as is Callery pear. Since the latter has also become a weed in eastern North America Ussurian pear may also have some pest potential. I haven't heard.

o

P.ussuriensis (Harbin pear) makes a good rootstock for Asian pear varieties - but I don't know which, if any, of the named varieties are reliably zone 4 hardy. I suspect most hardy european selections and hybrids would also be graft-compatible with P.u.

o

A great many cider apples are unpalatable as eating apples - has anyone tried making perry from Ussurian pears?

o

Rootstock and breeding. I think theyre also used for pollinating some pears as well (could only the the Ussurian hybrids). I have a "john" pear which is a hybrid with the russian pear. Nice looking trees and very very hardy. i have read conflicting reports of how the fruit tastes (for the hybrid).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here