Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persianmd2orchard

most FRAGRANT pear (and juicy) ???

persianmd2orchard
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a pear variety that is very fragrant? Not spicey like cinammon-y, but an almost floral, pleasant aroma.

Very juicy and excellent flavor can make a 9/10 pear (Comice), but what makes the 10/10 for me is that extra punch of awesome aroma in a pear. Comice is flat for aroma at least store bought (though does store bought in season really deter taste from a pear cultivar's max quality like other fruit varieties?) Not to rag on Comice though, they are my favorite I can find in stores here by far. Haven't really had one of these 10's in the U.S. But there are so many varieties growing here there must be some 10's. I've had a very limited sampling of Magness, that's probably the closest thing to a 10 here, seemed like may be better than Comice (just smaller).

Just had an underripe but good Shenandoah too... more like a 7 or 8 potential, nice acid to it like the descriptions said for once!

So anyone know of a hands down 10/10 pear with great fragrance?

In Persian, the word for pear is Golabi meaning Rosewater-like or floral water, not sure exactly. There is also a small green with red blush apple variety translated to Rosewatery Apple which is also perfumed I'd say.

As long as I'm ranting about aromatic fruit, the coveted Alfonso mangoes in season in India also hits the 10/10 out of this world for me because its not only a perfect fruit in terms of texture and flavor but brings in an extra punch of a half second of aroma while you eat it too.

Comments (8)

• skyjs
    11 years ago

There is a species of pear in China called fragrant pear. I don't know much about them.

I would email the National Clonal Germplasm Repository in Corvallis, ORegon as they hold most of the pear stocks in the US>
    John S
    PDX OR

• persianmd2orchard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Fragrant Pear" at least the one I had is a small Asian type pear. I'm looking for a euro. Thanks for the tip about Corvallis! Will look into.

• Tony
    11 years ago

Persian,
    The chinese fragrant pear called Lantai Jululi at Corvallis(very disease resistant and often you see at Asian market). I got about 14 varieties from them couple years ago. You have to order before the cut off date sometime in December and all you have to pay is the shipping throught Fedex account. They have hundred of varieties from hybrids, euros, and Asians. In 3-5 yrs they want a feedback from you to see how the trees perform in your neck of the woods.
    Good luck.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Corvallis/ARS

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Tony, I don't think he is interested in the Chinese fragrant pears, they are not very fragrant and are more hard than the Euros.

PersianMD, your description sounds like a good Bartlett to me :-) Overall I prefer Magness but if you want aroma nothing beats a well-grown Bartlett. Too bad there are so many dud Bartletts out there giving a great pear a bad name.

Scott

• Tony
    11 years ago

Scott,

I forgot to ask you last time, how are those fragrant pear seedlings trial turn out? And the the one from Corvallis? Any fruits yet? Taste?

Tony

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Hi Tony no fruit yet but they are getting bigger. Seedlings take several years to fruit. I grafted them on quince last year to try to speed things up. The Lantai Jujuli I also put on quince.

Scott

• persianmd2orchard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting about Bartlett for aroma. I've never had a good Bartlett until a week ago Trader Joes brought in some I really enjoyed flavor and juicywise. But no perfumery.

Are there different strains of Bartlett? Or you just mean a grown properly Bartlett is aromatic?

How is the eating experience (flavor/texture) of your Fondante des Moulins-Lille? I like em juicy like Comice.

I just had a Shenandoah pear last night! It had the tart kick in it that is written about! I was probably being harsh on it when I said 7 or 8 potential, prolly better than that when actually ripe.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

A pile of good Bartletts you should be able to smell an aisle over. I am surprised you had no aroma.

FdML is a very juicy pear. It has a lighter (more toward lychee) kind of flavor than Comice but is more like Comice than the other common pears. Comice is a very hard pear to grow so if you want something in that ballpark that you will actually get fruits you want to eat from it would be worth a try.

Scott