Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
King of the North Grape undersized fruits

Posted by rootman zone 5/6 W.PA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 23:37

This is the second year in the garden and the first year for my KIng of the North grape vine to produce. It is emormous, currently 30 ft. across (but not after it gets proper pruning this coming spring!). I had an abundant rainfall this year along with lots of sunny days. The vine is growing under what I would call ideal conditions.

It produced about 12 lbs. of grapes which surprised me for only its second year in the ground, having a very sweet and full flavor. However, the standard sized Concord type grape vine bunches were full of small sized individual grapes each about 2/3 to 1/2 the size of other Concord type grapes I have seen. All clusters had consistently small sized grapes on clusters that were normal sized so that there were wide gaps betweem the individual grapes

Is this a trait of King Of The North, its young age, or some other factor? I suspect soil that is too fertile, or too much water?

Strangely, this year, as if in competition with me, my brother planted an un-named Concord type purple grape which produced 4 full clusters. His grapes were nice sized, about marble sized each in tight, normal sized clusters. His growing conditions seemed to be about the same as mine.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: King of the North Grape undersized fruits

King of the North is a variety I'm thinking about trying here in the UK, it sounds very promising.
King of the North is part Vitis riparia and according to Lon Rombough the small berry size is dominant in Vitis riparia and hybrids from it. From what I've read about King of the North, the berries are described as 'small to medium'.

You could probably make the fruits a bit larger by girdling or using gibberelic acid, but I don't think they're really techniques for home growers.
A simpler method is to thin some of the crop - if you remove some clusters before the begin to develop, then what remains will be slightly larger in size.

I know this is an old thread, but if you read this, let me know how King of the North did for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here