Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best time to transplant strawberries?

Posted by thisbud4u San Diego (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 8, 08 at 23:42

I've got a half-row of strawberries (Mara des Bois variety---luscious) which were such a hit this year that I want to rip up the row and transplant the plants to a full row to give them more room. I was waiting for them to set runners, but for some crazy reason, they didn't create more than a few runners all year. Not sure what that's all about---possibly overcrowding of the plants.

Question: is there any reason I can't do this transplanting operation in the fall, or should I wait for spring? Here in coastal San Diego area, we don't really get winter (no frost, not many chilling hours), so I'm thinking it should be OK to transplant now, but there may be a daylength issue I haven't considered. Might the transplants fare better with a lenthening daylength instead of a shortening one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best time to transplant strawberries?

My strawberries are just now showing inclination to set runners. Perhaps waiting a bit might prove useful.

These were purchased a few years ago when the local growers were selling some plants. I also have a few purchased from a catalog (Tri-Star). Both seem to be performing about the same, but I lost a good deal earlier from what looked like red stele (sp), but those remaining look healthy. My recent feeding with compost tea might have been a factor as they became quite "perky" then.

Where were you able to get the Mara des Bois? Those from the local growers which I purchased were called Camarosa - I think. Home Depot sells a different variety - I note, which I haven't tried - they usually look a bit sad by the time I get to them, so have not purchased any.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

o

From what I have heard of San Diego climate you should be able to transplant in the fall with no problem. Al

o

bejay, I got Mara des Bois from a local company, just down the road in Solana Beach. If you do a search on the Gardenweb for "Mara des Bois" you'll find the thread in which the person was selling them. That was about 3-4 years ago, so I have no idea whether the company is still in business.

calistoga, thanks, I suspected this was the case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here