Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flying_fish

Apple tree leaf scorch paranoia

flying_fish
9 years ago

Hello,

I recently (about a month ago/ early august) purchased two apple trees from a Lowes garden center. At the time they looked healthy. Now the leaves are taking on a scorched appearance, starting at the lower part of the branches and working their way up, and starting with the outside edge of the leaves and working their way in.

They are still in the containers - I've neglected to plant them due to lack of time, but I have watered them about twice a week, and we have had quite a bit of rain as well. It's been about 75-85 degrees F in the daytime and we have not had frost yet. Of note: the wind has knocked them over quite a few times. I didn't secure them because I kept telling myself "I'm going to plant them tomorrow". Work keeps getting in the way!

After seeing these symptoms my first thought is that I've stressed them/haven't taken proper care of them and I still think that's the case. Being young trees in containers they may be very finicky. But when I do a google search trying to describe the symptoms, the typical search results describe the condition of "bacterial leaf scorch". Furthermore, one source suggested that stress related scorch usually happens from the "top down", where as bacterial scorch happens from the "bottom up" (as in my case).

Am I just being completely paranoid by suspecting that my plants are infected or is it a real probability? Would it be a bad idea to plant them near healthy trees? Would it be worth the effort in getting the two potted trees tested for bacterial scorch? Is that something that a typical extension office would do? Sorry for the excessive number of questions and thanks to anyone who can help :)

Comments (2)