Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulberry dwarfing

Posted by SoTX 8b/9a (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 0:08

I bought a "dwarf" mulberry not grafted--one of those everbearing dwarf trees I figured was dwarfed only because it was potted. When I asked the supplier if it was a genetic dwarf, I was told it was tissue cultured. Okay, and? My question is if there is some special way to culture a tree to dwarf it? I haven't heard of anything, but there's lots I haven't heard of. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulberry dwarfing

Among the several mature mulberry trees growing here, one was grafted on a dwarfing r/s and has really grown into an optimum shape needing very little pruning. I regret that I am not able to identify the r/s variety. The others all grow TOO verticle and TOO tall, so they get a lot of pruning to manage the size/shape. Generally speaking, these are being trained to develop several scaffold branches which will each grow new verticle shoots each year. The new verticle shoots are whacked off each Winter, except for a short stub with a couple buds to regrow new shoots in Spring.

o
RE: Mulberry dwarfing

SoTX,
Some selections, like Geraldi, are genetic dwarfs. Tissue culture - or even old-school methods, like rooting cuttings - don't alter that genetic determination; but tissue-culture will not induce dwarfing in a genetically non-dwarf clone.

Interesting that cwc has one on a dwarfing rootstock - I was not aware that there was such a critter in the mulberry world.
Many of the conventional 'dwarfing' rootstocks for pomefruits, etc. are dwarfing because they have 'weaker', less substantial root systems - hence the need to stake or trellis - and irrigate - trees on many of the true dwarfing rootstocks.
Perhaps someone has made such a selection out of the Morus genepool - though one might wonder if a rooted cutting - or even an interstem - of Geraldi or other 'dwarf' mulberry selection *might* confer dwarfing to varieties topworked onto them.

Some folks have advocated looping(tying an overhand knot in the limber trunk of a young whip) or bark inversion(cutting out a 1" strip of bark all the way around the trunk, turning it upside down and replacing it - as ways to induce (temporary) dwarfing and to initiate earlier flowering/fruiting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here