Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyberfarmer

Plums Gone Wild!

cyberfarmer
9 years ago

Dear GardenWeb,

My home came with 2 plum trees, about 10 feet tall and probably 15 years old. They each have about 9 separate trunks coming out of the ground. It occurred to me that most plum trees are grafted, and didn't seem likely that anyone would graft onto 9 separate trunks. I had to look closely, but on each tree, I could find a graft line on only one trunk. Moreover, on both trees, they are one of the smaller trunks. Obviously, the root stock is more vigorous than the fruit stock and it has overtaken the tree. So, what to do?

On each tree, I would like to chop down every trunk except for the one that is grafted. I would then train the remaining grafted trunk into a proper open vase form. Hopefully, with correct training and feeding, the existing fruit stock will produce some good fruit. If not, I will graft on some tastier stuff like pluots or peacotums.

So, first question is, can I remove all of the sucker trunks at once? That will be removing about 90% of the tree.

Second question is not really a question. Just open to any other ideas for how to make these trees into something productive.

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Comments (4)