Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bullet08_gw

Hardy Kiwi in a container?

bullet08
11 years ago

i'm new to hardy kiwi. i just got 4 very very small plants from hirt's garden. they are very small, but healthy. i have anna female, meader male, and arctic beauty male and female.

i have read that hardy kiwi needs to use trellis and plant in ground.

however, if there are any possible way to grow them in continer, i would rather grow them in container. maybe in 20 gal container with support and round ring on top to have the vain drapped over the side. is that possible? i'm not looking for big crop. i just want enough to taste.

i'm more into figs and have too many fig trees to care for. but i want to try kiwi in small scale.

don't have much of space for anything else.

might consider mango next.

thanks,

pete

Comments (10)

• luigi_13
    11 years ago

Hi Pete,
    my brother purchased one plant of "Issai" this year. it was potted in a 20cm vase, and was 60cm tall and full of flowers. it has produced about 30 ripe fruits, and still in the same pot. (Issai is self fertile).
    So, do try and good luck!
    Luigi

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

pete:

I haven't had the hardy kiwi but have grown most everything else in pots 15 gal and smaller. So yours should work at that size. I have done the trellis thing in a pot. For Kiwi the trellis would need to be pretty sturdy. I can visualize one with 3-4 legs and a circle about 4ft up.

• bullet08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks guys. i think i'll try it next spring. have 4 hardy kiwi that i just purchased. if they survive the winter, they will go in bigger pot to grow and when they are tall enough, will go into 20 gal pot with support and a circle.

• persianmd2orchard
    11 years ago

btw Anna and 49er are in my opinion much better tasting than the rest. Issai tastes the most eh to me and is only partially self fertile. Also males can pollinate several females and the male can be kept small since it won't bear you fruit.

also will need very strong support, think3x strength of grape vines.

good luck and enjoy the potted adventure!

• shane11
    8 years ago

I am thinking a 15 gallon pot would be large enough. I am also thinking about trying kiwi in containers. I am not sure how I will do the trellising though. If you have any other ideas or updated photos I would love to see them.

• shane11
    8 years ago

Trianglejohn, not sure why this would be. I have seen them blooming in a 2 or 3 gallon container

• Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC
    6 years ago

I got (male and female) " Vincent" fuzzy Kiwi baby plants. They are small. it is October.. What should I do?? Should i leave it in the pot now and put them in ground in the spring? I am not very sure how hardy they are here in raleigh nc. Any help , advice, comments ? Thanks

• shane11
    6 years ago

In my opinion it would be best to leave them in the container, let them naturally go dormant and then put them in a basement or cold garage for the winter, anywhere it stays just a little bit warmer than outside. They do not need light. Make sure they do not completely dry out during the winter but do not keep too wet, just barely damp. Check moisture about once a month. Then plant outdoors in Spring after frost danger. They should be cold hardy in your climate though it is wise to choose earlier ripening varieties like 'saanichton' or possibly 'blake'.

• ohchiz
    6 years ago

i tried to grow arctics in ground and an issai in a pot that was probably 15ish gallons a few years back. the issai seemed stressed in full sun and then I pulled it back in some shade and it too off growing later in the summer, but then died over winter so I never got fruit from it. the arctics were really weak growers for me (though ive seen pics of people with pretty substantial plants; mine also never got the pink and white varigation) and I only got a few fruits off of them and they were very small. I found "kiwi berries" once at sam's club in the fall which I assume are hardy kiwi, they and arctics pretty much taste like regular kiwi except a bit less sour and squishier texture if I remember. hardy kiwi are supposed to be big aggressive growers but ive never tried growing them personally, don't know how theyd do in a pot.