Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plum Tree Fruiting

Posted by NickRose none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 0:59

How many times can a Plum tree fruit each year? I thought it was just once, but it seems like my Plum tree is bearing fruit a second time this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plum Tree Fruiting

For lower chill stone fruits in areas like mine, where we have minimal chill hours, and long, late summers, you can get a second smaller crop. I see this mainly on my lower chill apples and pears. What plum tree do you have, that is doing this? Where do you live? If you included your USDA zone and your Sunset Zone (if applicable) in your "Zone" field (see mine), that is very helpful. Plus, the plum cultivar of course.

Patty S.

o

I live in San Mateo, CA. The USDA zone is 9 and the Sunset Zone is either 14 or 16. No idea what Plum tree it is. The Plum tree was planted by my grandparents probably in the 60's but I could be wrong.

o

I suspect it's probably a Santa Rosa plum, very commonly planted all over California, and will sometimes do this due to it's low chill hous. Does this look like your plum and plum tree? (scroll down to Santa Rosa, and look at the photo of the fruit.)

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: DWN: Plums

o

It does seem like it could be the Santa Rosa. Thanks for the help. I learn something new everyday.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here