Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pear ID Question

Posted by beeone 4 N. Wyo. (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 1:48

I recently ate a pear that came from a back yard tree along the Wisc.-Ill. border and I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas about the variety? Details are sparse as I've never seen the tree, but I'm hoping the few details I have will point to something.

The pears were relatively small, maybe 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. Pear shaped, skin was yellowish with maybe some russeting--not sure if it was russeting or just some skin damage. The fruit was soft yet firm, very juicy, and tasted like pineapple with pear. It had a few grit cells, but not bad. It was sweet but not overly so.

The homeowner recently purchased the place and was told the tree was a Bartlett, but it doesn't taste like any Bartlett I've ever had, was smaller, and was more pear shaped than "blob" shaped like I usually see with Bartletts.

I guess the key to me was the juicy, pineapple flavor. Any varieties known for this flavor? I'm going to try to get some scions over the winter and graft them onto my trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pear ID Question

Well, it could certainly be a Pineapple pear.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Willis Orchards: Pineapple Pear

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here