Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
appleseed70

Black Oxford Apple

appleseed70
9 years ago

Does anyone here grow the Black Oxford apple? It is thought to have originated in the mid 1800's from unknown parentage in Oxford, Maine.
The taste is supposed to be excellent with some DR and insect resistance and is reportedly suitable for fresh eating as well as baking and cooking.
I'm just curious if this apple lives up to it's description. It is certainly a unique looking apple and I'm always drawn to the "good keepers" and late dense fleshed varieties.

Comments (10)

• appleseed70
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I saw a picture of this tree just loaded with apples online. I don't know if it always crops this way, but is said to be a heavy cropper.

• appleseed70
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for the fuzzy pics...they just came out that way. There is a Black Oxford tree in ME that is supposed to be over 200 years old. Originally my research suggested it originated in the mid 1800's but this tree was planted by Benjamin Vaughan in 1799 in Hallowell, Maine. The Vaughan family still owns the property, apparently something of a millionaire's estate.

As a side note: I know where there is a very old apple tree close to my house. Have no idea what it is. Appears as though at one time it was pruned to a "V" shape like is often done with peaches. I've seen this in old photos of apple orchards using standard rootstock. One side has been cut away (probably broke in a storm or something).
    I think when I take the kids trick or treating I'm going to ask the owner if I can collect some scion wood from it. I'll post a photo tomorrow and see if you folks can guesstimate it's age.

This post was edited by Appleseed70 on Sat, Oct 25, 14 at 2:29

• Matt_z6b-7a_Maryland
    9 years ago

I plan to grow it eventually in my mountain orchard near Thurmont (Zone 6b), but lack of enough free time & money have prevented this from happening yet.

I am eyeballing a few good sources for it, including Fedco Trees, Cummins Nursery, and USDA GRIN.

Someday I hope to have Black Oxfords dangling like gigantic plums or over-sized Christmas ornaments from my own tree. It does well in frigid Maine, but Fedco theorizes it should also do well as far south as Zone 6.

-Matt

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

The black apples I've seen are all reported to be good keeps and excellent flavored apples. It's on my list as well but could not find scion wood yet. Last year I added Arkansas blacks.

• JesseSt
    9 years ago

I've got a few Black Oxfords, they say you can kill a man with one freshly picked- because they are like rocks! Growing them here in the apple's homeland of Oxford Counnty, Maine. Great keepers that get sweeter the longer they are stored.
    Beautiful apples, and nice in cider as well. I'd be happy to share or trade some scionwood later in the season.

• bob_z6
    9 years ago

I grafted a branch onto my frankentree last spring (scionwood from Maple Valley). It's now big enough that I hope to have apples next year from it.

• appleseed70
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jesse I'd be super interested in a trade. I sent you an email.

• appleseed70
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jesse what is your take on it's disease resistance? FB, Scab, and CAR? Does plum curculio get after it as much as other apples?

• JesseSt
    9 years ago

It does seem to have some disease resistance, and being a winter apple helps repel some insect pressure as well.

• sean_campbell36ny
    7 years ago

Just planted this cultivar this year on Bud.9

Cant wait till its putting out beautiful black apples. anybody else have any experience with Black Oxford? is it vigorous? does it bare well annually? is it flavorful and juicy?