Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plum tree flowering--in October!!!

Posted by neptune24 8A, GA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 3:09

We have a plum tree that's over 20 years old. It's about 10 feet tall. Anyway, it flowered this spring and all, but we didn't get as many plums as usual, from this tree or from our other plum trees. But a couple months ago, this tree lost just about all its leaves, and I was wondering if it was dead. Well, I just looked at it the other day, and it has several new flowers on it! Although I can't say this for a fact, I don't ever remember seeing flowers on it in the past outside spring.

Is it normal for a plum tree to have flowers on it in October, or does this tree need professional help? ;) Thank for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plum tree flowering--in October!!!

Stress will due that. Why did it defoliate? Drought?

o

Oh, stress will do that, huh? Thanks for the info, jxbrown.

Why did the tree defoliate? I don't know--I forgot to ask it that. ;) Seriously, I'm not sure. Our drought was only moderate, but still may have been enough to cause some damage. Certainly the July heat was often brutal.

o

It is unusual to be able to drought stress a 20 year old tree to cause your problem. This is more often a problem with young trees, but I do believe it is your problem. Your tree should not suffer any permanent damage. Al

o

OK, thanks for the info, Al.

o

My tree is flowering also it's about two years old and never had a fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here