Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clarkinks

Forelle pear

clarkinks
9 years ago

Was wondering if anyone grows Forelle pears and can tell me anything about them? I've been looking into the variety and so far I found them available here http://www.treesofantiquity.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=204

Comments (6)

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

I don't grow them but I bought a few from the supermarket a while back and they were spectacular. I told my wife at the supermarket about how much the skin resembled a rainbow trout's markings.
    Later after looking them up we both found it humourus that forelle is the German word for "trout".
    They have to be the most attractive of all pears. I think there is another offshoot variety called Royal Forelle (I think) it was bred in maybe Argentina. If I had knew about them earlier I'd probably have one planted in my yard right now.
    The bad: fireblight susceptible, doesn't like the cold and apparently sometimes has ripening issues.
    They are pretty widely available.

• clarkinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Appleseed70 I may try 1 and see how it goes against my better judgement. Fireblight has been a big problem this year.

• 2010champsbcs
    9 years ago

I don't have any growing experience with this pear and most likely will not due to low fireblight resistance. The taste is excellent. You may already know that they are similar in size to the Seckel pear. Good luck, Bill

• 2010champsbcs
    9 years ago

Sorry, duplicate

This post was edited by 2010ChampsBCS on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 7:20

• clarkinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Bill I'm considering grafting them on a callery 3' up that grows here wild that has a strong resistance to Fireblight. I figure then every 5 years or so I could top work another big callery and have pears in two or 3 years. Staying ahead of fireblight is not easy here either with all this rain we have had this year. By using that grafting trick I never loose the roots so I don't need to grow new ones. The top grows fast. I have a corner in the back of my hayfield with no pears or apples around and it's possible I might get by with it for awhile. I could get two of them going and swap wood back in forth when I had to. It's worth a try because my understanding is there is not a better pear for fresh eating around.

This post was edited by ClarkinKS on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 8:25

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Many claim it's FB resistance is about the same as Bartlett. I've seen many Bartletts growing healthily around here totally uncared for, I've also seen some with FB. Point is, it sounds like it's not terribly bad, I mean they are commercially grown here in the states. I think they are worth a go.