Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vermontkingdom

Red Raspberry Surprise

vermontkingdom
11 years ago

We've had the same raspberry patch for almost four decades. We normally have a good harvest in June and then, in late September, we get a few pints of berries off the tops of the new primocanes. Those canes are typically six or seven feet. However, this year, the canes are more like nine feet tall and the tops are absolutely loaded with dozens of berries about double the normal size. We've had a wonderful summer and fall here in Vermont, no frost yet as of October 5th, which has certainly played a part but we've also had other good summers/falls over the decades. The only thing I've done differetly this year was the application of an enormous amount of compost to the berry patch several months ago. (I had too much compost and I just couldn't put anymore on the vegetable garden. Yes, I'm one of those compost wacko types that composts everthing.) Have any of you ever had a similar result from a compost dump? If this is the reason, I'm disappointed with myself for not having done it before.