Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dubai_gardener

Smallest fruit trees/shrubs for backyard orchard culture

dubai-gardener
9 years ago

Hello,
I am currently, well still, in the process of planting our garden. I decided to go with the dense planting of the backyard orchard culture method. Based on their template if you want to do hedgerow planting you would do so by leaving 30 inches between each tree. This seems too little for me so I left 3 feet between each tree (some are a little more). Because I started planting the trees before I discovered the method I have plants that are irregularly spaced. After digging out one citrus tree to create proper spacing I decided to leave them alone and work around it. I have a few trees spaces 5 feet apart and based on the template I could plant another tree there thus leaving 30" (2.5 feet) gap between each. I don't feel like planting big trees and neither do I want to leave that gap. So I want to plant fruit (or spice) trees or shrubs there that are naturally small and would grow in tropical/subtropical climate. I live in Dubai but we are able to grow any fruits that are tropical and subtropical.
I would like someone to point me into the right direction as to what edible plants are naturally small.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company