Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 self pollinating fruit trees in a roll

Posted by DragonFlyTx none (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 7:27

I want to get 3 self pollinating fruit trees for the front yard but I am wondering if it is a bad idea to have one of each of a different fruit in a roll ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 self pollinating fruit trees in a roll

In a roll? Do you mean a row?

o

row

o

If they are self pollinating I don't see why it should matter where or how you position them unless one tree needs to be sprayed with a compound that shouldn't reach another. You can't get good coverage of spray on a tree without spray getting well beyond the tree you are spraying.

In my region this isn't usually a problem but if you are spraying a tree with insecticide when a nearby tree is in flower it could be. The further south you go the longer the spread of bloom- not only between different species but even varieties within the same species so I suspect in Texas early flowering species commonly need insecticide when later ones are in bloom. Branches of such trees should be at least 5' apart when fully grown so you don't end up killing your buzzem buddies (pollinators) with insecticide. .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here