Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting with the graft below the soil level

Posted by infiniteohms 5 Me (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 8:00

I have a few medlar trees i grafted this spring that i am planting out to their final positions this fall (or may be next spring). They are grafted to pear rootstock about 12" up off the ground, that's just where the scion/rootstock had their best size match. Normally I avoid planting above the root flare and ridicule others for "volcano mulching", but maybe this is a special case? Someone on this board recommended planting with the graft under ground so the scion can grow its own roots in case of long term graft incompatibility. I'd love to get some second opinions, I'd like to have long lived trees, but I only have one of each cultivar, so i don't want to take to many risks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting with the graft below the soil level

Why did you graft them, instead of planting the medlars on their own roots? Whatever reason you had, it could be negated by planting so deep. Only you can make that call.

o

I actually tried to root some cuttings, but not a single one rooted (from what i have read they are very difficult to root).

o

I wonder if that means they wouldn't root when planted. But I see no reason not to try it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here