Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zax722

Peach and apple seeds in stratification help

Zax722
9 years ago

Originally posted to the gardening newbies pages but then I read it was best to post it elsewhere so it will actually get read.

Hello, this is my first post. I have have several peach and apple seeds in the refrigerator (different baggies of course) with damp paper towels. They went in on August 16th . The peach seeds have been removed from the pits. A few apple seeds have begun to sprout in the two months they have been in stratification. My first question is do they need to be sprouting before I pot them. And second question is do the need to be in separate pots? I have roughly 20 of each seeds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Yes to both questions.

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

They don't have to be sprouting, but the odds of success are higher with the sprouted ones. You can put them in the same pot but you would need to transplant sooner if you did that. I sometimes put 2-3 seeds per pot and the ones that don't come up don't cause me any work.

Scott

• Zax722
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. None of my peach seeds have sprouted and its been two months so that's. Bummer. But I'll have a few apple trees to plant.

• nyRockFarmer
    9 years ago

Different varieties have different chill requirements. That is one reason to leave them in the fridge until they sprout. I think average for peaches/nectarines is more like 3 months. I wouldn't give up on them if the look fat and turgid with bright color. If they were bad they probably would have visible fungus by now.

• Zax722
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok cool. That eases my mind quite a bit. Maybe the peaches will come around in a month or so then.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio