Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time for planting Peach, Cherry,Apple Pear trees

Posted by MySweetLadyJane CA (N.E.) z6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 8:42

I am new to zone 6, and want to plant fruit trees. I have done my research and selected the varieties for my zone. Now I need to know when to actually purchase and plant them,fall or spring? I found lots of conficting info on this topic. We have already had a couple days of frost.This past spring we were still getting freezing and snow well into May.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time for planting Peach, Cherry,Apple Pear trees

In your zone either is possible. But since bare root trees survive and grow better than potted, next spring is a better bet. Plant them as early as you can. Best planting time is late February or March after the chances of zero type weather has passed and the soil has dried enough to work.

o

Lady Jane,

Here's my 2 cents. I am in zone 6 on the east coast (central MA). I've grown apple, peach and cherry trees. I've never planted in the fall for fear that trees would not get established in time before the soil freezes (could just be my unfound fear).

I've always planted my trees in the spring. We do have snow on the ground into April. When I order trees, I always ask a nursery to send them to me around mid April. It's easier for me to dig a hole when the soil is not so hard. (it's hard enough to dig into many rocks for each hole.)

I may plant later than others recommended for zone 6 but I have never had any problem with my trees getting established.

o

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. Would May be too late if the ground is still frozen in April (as it was last year)?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 20:39

Plant in spring as soon as you can after the soil thaws and is dry enough to work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here