Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pomegranate end of season ripening

Posted by rcnaylor z7 Tex (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 9:33

I have some Russian Hardy poms (actual variety uncertain) that have for the first time in 10 years borne fruit to this point (I'm a zone 6b dreamer when I planted them that has slid to a zone 7 with warming, but the erratic swings in weather in my high dry climate have kept any fruit off until now).

So, what I'm really more worried about at this point is whether there will be enough "heat" and/or heat days to ripen the suckers from here on out. We were overly warm up until last week, then got a cool down into the 70-80's. Going to be 90 today. But, by this Saturday, 46 for a high, low in upper 30's.

Which gets to my question, do poms hit a certain low temp where they will quit ripening or is it more just the number of days before a freeze that will matter? Historically our first annual freeze date is Oct 31. We usually don't get a hard freeze until 15th to 20th (ish) of November.

Think I can get the poms to ripen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pomegranate end of season ripening

I would imagine you'll be fine if your first frost ends up being around the average time. Of course that assumes they are pretty far along already.

All the fruit on my potted Wonderful pomegranate ripens by mid October barring any catastrophe, and I'm in a colder climate (zone 6 around 7,000 feet in N. NM) with an average 1st frost of Oct 15th. I don't know how your Russian variety compares to the moderately late-ripening Wonderful though. This definitely reinforces my belief that the so-called hardy poms are not necessarily early ripening, which is equally important in marginal areas for poms.

o

Thanks for the info. The latest weather report says we'll have a fairly early cold snap and get to 33 degrees Saturday (hi of 45). If that stops ripening, I think I have lots of fruit that is not going to be very ripe. boo.

Oh well, guess we'll find out pretty soon either way.

o

Hey, just tried one of the pomegranates that had split. It was still pretty green but the fruit was GREAT. Letting some of the bigger red ones ripen some more. Can't wait to taste them.

10 years to get the first harvest. Pretty good patience!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here