Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Info on apple variety

Posted by auntnana21 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 10:11

I've been to 3 festivals in the NE TN area lately where the apple vendors have a variety called Strawberry Rome. It is large, very dark red skin, white meat with pink streaks throughout, and very, very sweet. I asked for the specific cultivar info but the folks selling gave me the deer in headlights stare and "we just sell them". I'd love to add this to my orchard but can't seem to find anything on it. Does anyone know anything about this variety? Any help is appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Info on apple variety

Never heard of it, but a quick Google search shows that Century Farm Orchards (www.centuryfarmorchards.org) grow them (although it's not on their 2012 inventory). Looks like they do custom grafting, too.

I don't know anything about them, but you could give them call and ask if they'll graft one for you or send you some scion wood for a fee?

This place, too: http://www.wagonwheelorchard.com/produce/

Sam

o

Thanks! I googled and couldn't come up with anything.

o

No problem. By the way, I put "Strawberry Rome" in quotes, so the search was:

"strawberry rome" apple

including the quotes. Otherwise you'd probably get a lot about strawberries or about Rome apples or something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here