Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beeman_gardener

Wintering Containers.

beeman_gardener
10 years ago

The leaves are off, so I'm getting ready to put my two container trees away for the winter, first real frost today. One Peach and one Apricot, both successfully kept for the first year.
Would appreciate some general advice regarding winterizing?
Have an unheated garage with space.
What do I need to do and lookout for during the winter?
When do I remove for next year?
Re-potting?

Comments (3)

• lsoh
    10 years ago

I live in zone 5. I have several different types of fruit in pots. But I've only been doing this for a few years, so I'm not an expert.

Most of my plants stay outside for the winter. I bury those pots in leaves. (The pile of leaves collapses over the winter, so pile the leaves higher than the pot.)

I bring the most cold sensitive plants inside into an unheated space. Keep the soil moist. They still need water, but not nearly as much as when they are growing.

Anything marginal for my zone goes inside. So far, this has worked for me.

In the spring, I take mine outside when they show signs of life. But my plants may be responding to indirect sunlight, I don't know. So maybe that sign won't work if sunlight doesn't reach your plants. However, last frost is later than that. So once the plants blossom, I either cover my plants or drag them back inside at night to protect from frost.

Regarding re-potting: I haven't re-potted mine. But my oldest plants are a cherry tree and 2 blueberries from 2010. I'm taking my lead from an expert here, fruitnut, who does not re-pot often. However, I would guess that the size of pot and type of potting soil would be factors. Maybe you could tell us what size pot and what type of potting soil you used?

Hopefully more knowledgeable readers will share more.

• beeman_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply.
    Sorry for the delay, busy time of year.
    I have calculated the pot size to 7.33 gallons. The potting soil is as from the nursery, with occasional liquid fertilizer.
    Watered every other day, 2 gallons.
    Growth has been good, limited fruit allowed on both for tasting, excellent quality.

• lsoh
    10 years ago

Again, I'm not an expert. Most of what I know I learned on this forum. There are many experts here. Fruitnut has much experience growing a wide range of fruit in pots. Hopefully, he'll answer. If he does, take his advice over mine.

If I understand correctly, these are still in the pots same pots you bought them in. Is that right? If so, odds are they would be happier in a different potting mix. See below.

If I understand correctly, fruitnut successfully grows fruit trees in 5 gallon pots. But I grow in 14 gallon rubbermaid roughneck totes (with drain holes drilled in the bottom). I'm guessing that your plants will be happier in bigger pots. But keep in mind, those pots get heavy. I put a rope around my pots to drag them around, and it's work. If you repot your trees, my understanding is that it would be best to do that when the tree is dormant. If you find that the roots are circling inside the pots, you might need to root trim. But I'm not sure. That's beyond my experience.

Regarding potting soil. It seems that most pre-bagged potting soils really aren't that good. And they are expensive. There's much discussion about potting soils on the container forum. However, I found their "gritty" mix to be prohibitively heavy and their 5:1:1 mix seemed to be excessively thirsty. (I water once a day in the summer as it is.) I've found the mixes discussed on this forum to be better for my purposes. It seems most experienced growers make their own mix. As a result of reading this website I mix a soil of roughly 5% perlite, 50% pine bark fines, and 45% sphagnum peat or compost (I prefer compost). I also add about 1 tablespoon of garden lime per gallon of soil mix. (This mix is NOT for blueberries.) Perlite, peat, and lime are commonly available at the big box store. For compost, I use stuff derived from forest products and / or kitchen scraps. Composted manure doesn't apply here. I also avoid compost that the label says is really all mushrooms. Pine bark fines is a little more confusing. It may be labeled as other things such as "soil conditioner". Think small slivers of mulch made from pine bark. You'll probably have to read the labels of mulch / soil conditioners at the big box stores. This formula is not exact. A little more or less of something is fine. And others may suggest alternative formulas. It's not as complex as it sound, sorry.

Don't let me scare you away with my long winded answers. My container harvest this year included mulberries, gooseberries, blueberries, blackberries, and cherries. Before I started reading this forum, I only grew tomatoes. This forum has provided a useful education. If I can do it, anyone can.

There is a wealth of information on this forum, but the search function stinks. Fortunately, you can direct google's search to a specific website. Go to google.com. In the search box, type "site:your_web_site your_search_words". For example: ...