Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chocolate persimmons almost black inside

Posted by bhawkins 8a Dallas (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 10:24

I'm eating my first chocolates. They taste pretty good. But they're so dark, I wonder if they've spoiled somehow.

Am I going to die of food poisoning ?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chocolate persimmons almost black inside

This is why they are called chocolate:) My chocolate persimmons have dark flesh when ripe too. This is a very good tasting persimmon.
Olga

o

Doesn't sound very appetizing but they sure do look good at this point. Mine aren't ripe yet and they are in the greenhouse.

Chocolatepersimmon004

o

fruitnut,

How old was the tree. Is it in the pot or in the ground, since you have a green house.

o

Fruitcraz:

The Chocolate was planted in the ground in January 2010. It really hasn't grown too much but only has a space about 3ft by 6ft so maybe that's why. A Eureka planted next to it at the same time hasn't flowered. So if the Chocolate was pollinated this year it was self pollinated only. I don't know if that would qualify as the taste enhancing pollination that Chocolate needs to be at it's best. Guess I'll know because it had a boatload of male flowers with no other persimmon within 200ft. I thinned the fruits down to seven. They are a very nice size.

o

Fruitnut,

Where did you order your persimmon from? How low of the temp over winter?

o

Do you have a photo of the inside of yours?

o

Fruitcraz:

Bought mine from Bay Laurel Nursery. In my greenhouse I don't let it get below 33F in winter or any other time. In winter I have 45-60 days of lows in 30s and highs in 50s. That's to get chilling on everything. Then a two month gradual warm up until the cherries set fruit. The rest of the year is basically sunny and warm. Summers top out in low 90s.

The only time I heat the greenhouse all year is to maintain a low of 33-37F in winter.

It's the best fruit growing system I know of anywhere. I base that on the fruit quality, consistent production, and lack of pest issues.

o

Fruitnut, any kaki will take 20F or less when grown in the ground. So heating greenhouse to 33F is a waste of money. I overwinter my kaki plants (some 15 varieties) in a pots standing on the ground of a large unheated greenhouse. The temperature often drops to 20F. I din't have a single loss of plant. The pots should be at least 20 liter (4 gallons). Rootstock lotus and virginiana

o

harbin:

I also have citrus in the greenhouse as well as many other fruits. Even the citrus could take 28F. But chilling is most effective at 37-48F. So during chilling I heat to 37F. The rest of the winter 33F. It doesn't cost much here since our average low outdoors is 30F.

Do you grow any other fruits in your greenhouse? Europe used to be the center for fruit culture under glass as it was called back then.

o

My Chocolate Persimmon is also fruiting for the first time. They look a lot like yours, Fruitnut. Naive question: how can you tell when they are really ripe? They are still quite firm - do they soften up?

o

I am growing potted hardy bamboos, persimmon, jujube,and paw paw for sale. When overwintering in an unheated greenhouse, bamboos are the most risky here in Europe Central, the fruit trees are always O.K. Fruit culture under glass - is not my case. I am growing most in an open ground. But asian persimmons are grown in large containers, overwintered in a greenhouse, than moved outside in May with already well developed fruits. They will ripen just fine here.

o

rh:

Chocolate is astringent until soft. In the greenhouse where it won't freeze I'll leave mine hang until they soften. For my Eureka outdoors I pick before a hard freeze and ripen them in the frige. There are plenty of ways to ripen them: freezing, slice and dry, and with alcohol. I tried the alcohol and didn't much like the result, same with freezing. Last year they were best ripened in the frige. The best ever softened on the tree before a freeze.

o

My chocolates turned soft on the tree this weekend, I could "squeeze" them

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here