Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with fruit trees!

Posted by journey149 9aFL (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 10:43

I have three fig trees and i've use chicken manure, 10-10-10
and still no figs, they are a least 3 years old. I have a grapevine three years old not bearing and a starfruit. Is there a spray i can spray them with? I also have two pear trees, two plum trees, that flowers but not fruit. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with fruit trees!

Can you be more specific as to what cultivars you have? One issue may be that you don't have appropriate cultivars for your zone. I have never had the problem of not having enough chill hours so I don't know if this could cause the trees to bloom but not produce.

If the trees are very young it may be that they are too young to produce yet. Pears can take many years. I've noticed that the young trees sort of "practice" and they will bloom when they are young but since the tree is not mature enough it won't produce fruit.

Is the chicken manure composted?

o
RE: Help with fruit trees!

Fruit trees all need as much sun as possible, definitely at least 6 hours a day.

Even though you have 2 apple trees, they must be two different kinds which are compatible with each other. They'll probably also need to be low-chill varieties.

Same goes for your pears -- need two different but compatible kinds.

Grape should do fine on its own. But again, adequate sun exposure. Full day is best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here