Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help!!! moles and voles

Posted by strawberryjohnjohn 48139 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 10:45

Someone has to have some way of getting rid of the moles and voles in my organic garden. They are overwelming my strawberries, blueberries and vegetable garden. I have tried wind mills, electronics, traps, and water. I just find more and more damage. This year alone I lost 75% of my crops to them. HELP!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help!!! moles and voles

You need a cat. I don't own one but there are three in our area that love the orchard and berry patches. I get upset when they get a bird, but I haven't seen a mouse or vole in a very long time.

o

an outside cat or cats. housepet cats are too spoiled and often do not hunt at all.

give them good shelter (I use a rubbermaid tub with a blanket and pet heater) and a modest amount of food and you will regularly see them with rodents in their mouth. if they really like you sometimes they'll leave the dead rodents on your porch as a present.

o

You can try different kinds of traps such as zappers but trapping should work if you are persistent. Some years it can be very difficult, but if you have to set 50 traps or more, so be it. I am about to order plastic traps from Gemplers which I set with peanuts or almonds under large trays (the kind used for mixing small batches of concrete). I protect about 3 acres of nursery this way with good success. I'll be moving around 10 trays and 40 traps until the first heavy snow.

o

I use aluminophosphid tablets; I don't know if that is actually organic or not, but it sure drives the little buggers away.

o

Johnmerr, what are those tablets? I tried googling them , but what came up was PHd lingo on catalytic seives.

o

My cat keeps all the rodents at bay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here