Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crimson topaz

Posted by harvestman 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 11:11

I tasted the Crimson Topaz apple today from a tree in my nursery. It seems a worthy tart apple for those seeking scab resistance.

It has some of that "big cell" crunchiness and the juiciness of Honeycrisp but with a real acid kick. It's supposed to ripen in early Oct according to Adam's, which probably means mid-Oct here and apples looked ready a couple of weeks ago. I tried one then but the one today was more fully flavored so it doesn't seem to easily turn to mush.

I like it better than Liberty for sure and would consider it worth growing even without the disease resistance. It was growing right next to a Jonagold whose apples were almost twice the size. I prefer the smaller size as the Jonagolds are too much to eat in one apple meal. I expect Topaz to size with liberty.

Adam's is sold out for next season and I don't know who else carries it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crimson topaz

• Posted by eboone 6a - SW PA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 13:50

"Adam's is sold out for next season and I don't know who else carries it."

That's too bad, it was on my short list of apples I wanted to order from them. Any experience with the other newer resistant apples Crimson Gold and Crimson Crisp? I think the Crimson Gold is out of the same Czech breeding program?

o

I've tasted Crimson Crisp and it was also pretty tart and a nice apple but I'm running from memory of last year.

o

Cummins still has the Crimson Topaz

o

I purchased a Crimson Topaz tree on B-9 2 years ago with numerous other trees and the Topaz has been by far the slowest grower for me. Not sure if it does not like the heat down here in the south or maybe it needs a more vigorous rootstock. The tree looks healthy, just puny.

o

Chris, mine's on 111 and it does seem like a spurry tree that could easily get runted out on a full dwarfing rootstock. The small tree in my nursery had a lot of fruit for such a young tree. Should have removed them to keep the tree growing vigorously.

Sometimes you can coax a runt back to vigor by cutting off spurs and favoring only newest growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here