Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purchasing potted trees at year end sale?

Posted by oldryder (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 11:21

A local nursery is selling 10 gal. potted fruit trees at a substantial discount. No warranty.

Look like nice trees and considerably larger than the usual bare root. No info on rootstock (although I am trying to find out)

Trees are dormant or will be in another week or two.

Should they be planted now or left in pots till early spring?

Any reason I should just avoid this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purchasing potted trees at year end sale?

It would help if you included some zone or location information.

Personally, I am in SoCal and look forward to the fall and cool damp weather and purchased several new fruit trees but that works for my zone.

o

Zone 4 central MN. It's already getting cold here. we're past the peak for seasonal colors.

o

I am in Zone 7 and I have purchased trees three times at the year end sales and all of them are still living. I have an elberta peach, burgandy plum, a fig, a crepe myrtle, and a blueberry bush. In my opinion, there is little risk.

o

I generally think its ok to get trees this late, just be vigilant about pruning any spiraling roots and definitely plant them in the ground ASAP. Consider staking them (just for the winter) as they wont have much if any chance of growing new roots to hold them in soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here