Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

Harrowsweet pear- another advantage

alan haigh
9 years ago

Even after quite a few years experience, I still struggle with harvesting most varieties of pears at the optimum time- too early and they don't get great sweetness- too late they may be rotting inside or acquire a grainy texture. Even when some varieties start to drop, not all fruit on the tree are actually ripe enough to pick- Sheldon is one of these.

It seems as though Harrowsweet can be allowed to turn completely yellow-gold on the tree without getting soft and is at that point the perfect stage for picking- at least if you aren't trying to store it for more than a month.

When it is picked at this time (here, early to mid-Oct) it's an amazing pear once allowed to soften at room temp for about a week- so luscious, sweet and rich.

The first time I tasted this pear was while walking through my nursery in mid-oct and I ate one straight off the tree that was just about perfect.

IMO, Harrowsweet is likely to become the most popular home orchard pear in the world if it performs elsewhere as it performs here in southeastern NY. It doesn't have great size, so may never be that popular with commercial growers.

Comments (6)