Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"bedding" for beneath tall native persimmons

Posted by cousinfloyd NC 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 11:30

I'm interested in hearing ideas and pros/cons for various materials to grow or place beneath native persimmon trees, especially tall trees with fruit that can go splat and then get dirt/grass/etc. stuck in with the pulp when it drops.

I assume closely mowed grass is the standard first choice? A dense low growing grass like Bermuda grass would seem ideal, but I don't have any experience with that. I'm also interested in options for lower sun areas where things like Bermuda grass wouldn't grow. Slightly leathery dropped leaves seem to make a pretty good bed for persimmons to fall onto, and leaves seem like a good option for shadier areas, but I'm not sure where I'd collect sufficient quantities of leaves early enough and that wouldn't dry and break up into little pieces that would get stuck in the pulp.

What do you all do? I'm very interested in your practices and ideas and the hows and whys.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "bedding" for beneath tall native persimmons

CF,

You could suspend a net underneath the canopy of the persimmon tree just say 3-4 feet off the ground to collect the ripe persimmons that drop. Once the harvest season is over then take down the net and store it for next season. All you need is four stakes with some ropes and a bird netting or some sort of mesh (like the one Fruitnut uses for hail protection). I think Jerry Lehman has something like this to harvest some of his persimmon trees.

Tony

o

Jerry recently posted on the NAFEX list that he spreads a thick layer of clean wheat straw underneath persimmon trees to diminish 'splatting'.

o

Thanks for the ideas, Tony and Lucky!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here