Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passion Fruit

Posted by Teitei none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 11:37

This is my 3rd year with passion fruit. This year the tree grew crazy with crazy amounts of bloom and fruit. My problem is, it bloom so late in summer. I have fruits that are still green and like last year, it does not get time to ripe befoire winter gets it Any help !!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passion Fruit

What kind of passionfruit? Incarnata or edulis? Either way they need lots of heat to ripen.... Maybe plant the vines next to a south facing wall?

o

Can't tell where you are at so I'm not going to guess about climate issues. Perhaps you need to change the timing of your pruning (do you prune?). Pruning at the wrong time may throw off the flowering cycle.

My P. edulis blooms in two flushes, one in late Spring and one in late Summer. Most of the late Summer fruits do not ripen before I prune. It's just the way it goes. If I waited for them before pruning then I might miss the late Spring bloom.

o

Here in San Jose the winter is too cold to ripen them. I leave all winter and prune in the spring. I take the unripe fruits and stick in a paper bag when I prune. Most remain inedible but a few will ripen up enough to taste good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here