Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
princesspea_gw

Sunburn prevention?

princesspea
9 years ago

Hello gardenwebbers,

My cherry trees have what I thought was a disease but now I believe it is sunburn. The leaves on the western quarter of each tree, plus the west faces of the apple espalier and a new-this-year rose bed, have brown and crispy leaves and the apples have brown tough skin on the west face.

This year started with two multi-night frosts (rare in my part of California) followed by temps over 100 in May ( also extremely odd- usually warm but not like that!) and continued hot- I think my car registered 93 every day for a solid 8 weeks July-September.

Through our drought I watered 5 gallons weekly, with filtered but not softened shower warm-up water and fed lightly with fruit tree fertilizer.

The cherries fell prey first and I initially thought a fungus- I usually spray copper in winter but around here, advice tends to be based on rain- and as we are in a severe drought the rain has been sporadic and extremely sparse, so I only sprayed once last winter.

I am asking if I am way off here, and if it is sun damage, has anyone got a
Suggestion for a cure? Conditions are tough here and the trees need any help they can get.

Best,

Pea

Comments (7)