Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eciton_gw

transplanting native persimmon seedlings?

eciton
9 years ago

Found an area that has hundreds. Would love to scoop some out of the ground just wondering about how much root I likely need to get. I know I know, as much as possible... :). But for a 1/2-3/4" caliper 4' tree will about a gallon pot do?

Also, if I fall transplant is next spring to early to graft?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• Tony
    9 years ago

Eciton,

I found that persimmon root suckers do not have enough lateral roots to support the transplant. I grow them from seeds then graft them in a couple of years later.

Tony

• eciton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gotcha. I had marked some in clumps but feared that they were suckers. Do you think it would still be an issue even if they are solo trees in a 10-20' area? I had assumed some were planted by deer or coons

• Tony
    9 years ago

I know root suckers can go out to 25 feet away. You can try to dig it up in late March while in dormant state. Try to get as much roots as you can. Good luck.

Tony.

• alexander3_gw
    9 years ago

If you dig up seedlings or suckers, I would plant some seeds at the same time as a back up. The seedlings grow fast, especially in the ground, and may pass a transplant shocked seedling or sucker in two years. Gather seeds now, keep them cold and moist over the winter, and plant in pots of just where you want a tree in the spring.

• forestandfarm
    9 years ago

Persimmons have a pretty long tap root and expend a lot of energy producing it. They don't transplant very well unless you get a lot of root which is digging pretty deep. You don't get much lateral root branching until the tree is pretty well established in a natural environment.

I find it much easier to grow them from seed in air-pruning pots. Air pruning the tap root causes early root branching. Using containers designed to air prune.

Here is one grown from seed on my deck:

{{gwi:124970}}

• eciton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How old is that one?

• forestandfarm
    9 years ago

I got a late start on persimmons last year. I'd guess that tree probably germinated in June of last year. I germinated the seeds in flats and then transplanted them to rootmaker 18 cells. In 12 to 16 weeks I transplanted them into 1 gallon rootbuilder II containers. Late this spring I transplanted them from the 1 gal to the rootbuilder II high 5 container you see in the picture. The picture was taken toward the end of July. So that tree was a seed about 13 months before the picture was taken.

• forestandfarm
    9 years ago

By the way...That tree is getting ready to go dormant right now. It is now about 6" above that railing. I plan to cut it off this coming spring and graft to it.

Tony,

If you're monitoring this thread, I ran out of time to try t-budding this summer. I plan to send you one of the jujubes I started from root cuttings this summer as soon as they go dormant. I'm hoping I can get some more Nikita's Gift scions to try. My plan is to bring a few of the persimmons including the one in the picture above inside to break dormancy as soon as they have had enough chill hours. I'm hoping to be able to W&T graft as soon as I receive the scions. This should avoid the mold problem we had with the NG scions last year.

• Esther Gebel
    last year

I stored about 30 persimmons seeds from very old trees at local park in fridge for 3 months.

Expecting just a few to make it, I planted all these seeds in half gallon pot.

3 months later still no seedlings, till suddenly they all come up like crazy now.

I am thrilled, but at same time wonder how I will ever transplant them.

Maybe cut the bottom off the pot, and part of sides, then plant them all together? I would love to pass some of these seedlings on to friends.

Might repeat this project in fall with new seeds, and be smarter by planting less in one pot. Any suggestions will be appreciated.