Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Young Fruit tree leaves turning black HELP

Posted by goldenhoney North Alabama (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 26, 10 at 12:04

I am living in Northern Alabama working at a place where my main project is to plan a fruit orchard. I've been buying trees, still in their pots, and not planting them but putting them next to older trees in a raised bed. In the past few days, many of the pear and peach tree leaves have turned a greyish black. The branches are still alive but I don't know what it means! It's too early for them to being going dormant. The only thing I can think of is them not getting enough water for a few days. I looked up photos of fire blight but that's not what it looks like.

Does anyone have any ideas/advice?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Young Fruit tree leaves turning black HELP

My first thought is that it's not that early to be going dormant. By November 1 peaches are going dormant even in CA where they may not get frost until Dec. Usually the leaves don't turn black so that's a bit disconcerting but not necessarily deadly. I think you will need to wait until spring and see what they do.

o

It just concerned me because I went to the nursery where I bought the trees and their trees, of the same variety that I bought, were totally fine. Is there a possibility that moving them just caused them to go dormant earlier?

I'm new to this! Thanks so much for your input!!

o

golden:

Being too dry could be the problem. But even there the leaves would more likely turn brown than black. Keep them moist and plant them asap. When you plant be wary of roots growing in a cicle around the rootball inside the pot. If there are circling roots, try to pull them loose and spread them out in the planting hole. If you can't spread them out, at least cut them at several places. This will help them grow out into the soil rather than growing in a cicle and strangling themselves.

o

Yes, I agree, that is what a drought stressed tree does.

o

Grayish black leaves at this time of the year would be freeze damage in my area. Probably not in Alabama, though.

This time of year, you are limited to dormant sprays, but they tend to be the best treatments for several problems so that's not a bad thing. I suggest that you plan on doing some dormant spraying.

I would expect drought damaged leaves to be brown and very crispy. Is there any fuzziness to the leaves? The color sounds like mildew.

o

Did you haul 'em down the highway, uncovered, in the back of your pickup?
I've seen some pretty awesome cases of 'windburn' on trees transported that way.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 28, 10 at 1:24

Any chance of posting pictures? That would likely help us help you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here