Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Managing etrhylene gas in storage (apples) query

Posted by marknmt 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 12:16

Wish I knew more about this aspect of storing apples and would appreciate any comments, links to reading, and the like. Right now I'm assuming that it would be wise to open the unvented polyethylene bags from time to time, but have no idea of what's reasonable. Perhaps it'd be better to use perforated bags?

Thanks,

M

Oooop .... I typoed "ethylene" in the subject line and apparently can't edit it.

This post was edited by marknmt on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 12:38

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Managing etrhylene gas in storage (apples) query

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 16:50

Are you concerned only about the apples or other things like cuttings you might have in the same fridge? I haven't worried about the former but have about the later.

You want some ventilation but not so much that the apples shrivel.

o

Only the apples- I'll get some cuttings later, but I hadn't thought of the ramifications for them! Guess I should.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 18:05

Ethylene is deadly to cuttings and nursery stock. So don't store much fruit with that material.

o

Thank you. Aside from apples what else gives off ethylene?

This could present a problem for me when I'm storing cuttings in late winter/early spring. I've got apples everywhere right now.

Good problem to have.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 15:06

In my experience, a freezer full of Goldrush apples (kept at 38F through the winter by a thermostat) did not experience any problem. Apples were in good shape in May. Somehow ethylene does not affect the apples themselves.

o

When I chilled tulip bulbs, apples and onions were the ones I kept out of the refrigerator.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here