Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arctic Beauty male for Isshai kiwi?

Posted by chopstocky z6 NY Sunset 37 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 12:30

I am interested in getting some hardy kiwi vines for my backyard. I would love the production and compactness of Isshai and the foliage of a male Arctic Beauty. Will the AB pollinate the Isshai or are their seasons too far off? Does anyone have any experience with the two of these cultivars?
Thanks,
Joe
(Chops)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arctic Beauty male for Isshai kiwi?

No for issai you would need an arguta male. The arctic beauty (kolomitka) blooms weeks earlier than when the Issai (arguta hybrid) blooms. I have both.

I find the taste of the kolomitka fruit (september sun is the female I have for my arctic beauty) is very comparable to the Issai but its only half the size of the issai. But ornamentally its much more attractive than issai.

Tyler

o

Oh I might add a later blooming male arguta the better if you go that route. I have "meader" male arguta and it is almost done blooming when my issai needs it. It cuts it close.

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 11:07

My Issai are ripening very late. My first thought is that it is either due to it being a young plant (3rd year) or that un-pollinated fruit behaves differently.

Rather than ripen in August, it is just now starting to become edible. I've been picking one every 1-2 weeks since early September and until this week the brix was always under 10 (it started around 6 and tasted horrible). Yesterday I finally got one with 13, which tasted ok, but very tart, so I think I'm getting closer. They are also smaller than the ones I've gotten in the store (large grape sized in stores, medium-small grape sized from the yard), but at this point I think they are done growing.

My most mature male vine only had one flower this year and it rained the day it opened, so there may have been little or no pollination (no fruit on Ken's Red or Geneva, even though they bloomed lightly).

o

My pollinated Issai are just ripening now too Bob, So is my Anna. My dumbartons oaks ripened back in mid August I believe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here