Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SoCal Cherry Rootstock Question

Posted by Kippy-the-Hippy 10 Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 13:07

I am planning my bareroot purchases and wondered if anyone had experience with two of the rootstocks

Z-Dwarf (the newly renamed most dwarfing rootstock)
Colt.

Is Z-Dwarf as precocious as Colt? What about fruit set?

I am hoping for double duty out of a pair of cherry trees, fruit and some shade. They will be planted on the lower side of a retaining wall about 4 feet lower than the house. Reading that colt can be 20-30 feet tall, that is taller than I want, but 12 feet on Z-Dwarf might be a tad low.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SoCal Cherry Rootstock Question

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 14:11

The Z dwarf will induce fruiting earlier than Colt but won't likely get tall enough to shade a house. I'm holding my cherries on Z easily to 6ft and could go even smaller.

o

Are you doing much pruning to hold at 6 feet or is that about where they want to be?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 10:32

A lot depends on growing conditions. You could probably get them to 10-12ft but it could be 8-16ft as well. No I'm not pruning much. One is pretty vigorous but most are puny.

o

I am inland San Diego with heavy DG soil. I have two four year old cherry trees on colt. I keep mine around eight feet with a single light pruning in the summer.

The hot dry summer and heavy soil keeps them in check. Not much growth occurs after June. Colt may get to 20-30 feet under the right conditions. No way they would get that big in my yard even without pruning.

Mine haven't been very precocious. This was the first year they set more than a few fruit. Maybe a 100 or so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here