Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What temp do apples freeze at??

Posted by cybermeowz 4 - ND (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 8, 09 at 13:11

Hi. I am wondering if anyone on this forum can tell me at what temperature apples still on the tree will freeze at. We are going through a real cold snap and I am trying to decide if I must pick the apples on our late tree. They aren't quite ripe yet. It seems to me that I read somewhere that apples can take temps down to 21 F for a short period of time but I can't seem to find any information about this on the internet. It looks like the low for tonight is forecast for 25-27 F which I believe they will be fine at but tomorrow night's forecast shows a low of 22 F which is what I am concerned about.

I know there is a similar thread a couple of threads down, but I guess I am looking for an actual temperature if someone on this forum happens to have that knowledge or a link to information about this. Thanks for any information anyone can give me.

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What temp do apples freeze at??

We been just going thru this...

Here is a link that might be useful: Low temp. for apples..

o
RE: What temp do apples freeze at??

One thing not in the linked discussion is that apples are divided into three types scientifically, and have different damage properties.

Type I correspond to Summer apples, and these will damage easily, maybe taking 28F for a short time. They also have the property that if the apple is damaged anywhere, the entire apple will usually rot.

Type II corresponds to Winter apples, and these are very robust, taking down to 20F without damage. They also have the property that if any part of the apple is damaged, it will heal itself, even if off the tree. In the native apple forests, there are many apple trees that will go bare and hold on to fruit for quite a while longer without the fruit having any damage.

Type III corresponds to all the hybrids in between the two, these behave specific to the variety.

I forget the reference, I can dig it up if anyone cares.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here