Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsg47

the best Mirabelle plums?

mrsg47
12 years ago

Hi all, still digging borers out of my nectarine and peach, and spraying to kill the buggers. But anyway, wanted to know who has had good luck, and crops of Mirabelle plums? I would really like to avoid going to Provence, every time I would like one! I want a heavy cropper to 'put up' jam. Raintree has three listed, it that the nursery to buy them from? Many thanks Mrs. G

Comments (16)

• ltilton
    12 years ago

Raintree is an excellent nursery. I think Scott Smith mentioned growing Mirabelles.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Itilton, yes he did but he also mentioned that he was pulling them out since they were in an area in his orchard that was too wet. Didn't sound like he had enough info on results. But thanks.

• alan haigh
    12 years ago

For preserves, maybe Damson is the easiest way to go instead of Mirabelles. I only have experience with Damson, however, and they are easy to grow here and extremely productive.

• Scott F Smith
    12 years ago

Mrs. G, I would say Mirabelle de Nancy is probably the one if you want one, that is the most famous of the mirabelles.

I still haven't figured out what I am going to do but I will probably be removing my Mirabelle de Metz and NY Mirabelle and keeping my Mirabelle de Nancy. I will probably also keep my Damson, jam from Damson plums is pretty awesome due to the astringency in the plums giving a rich flavor. NY is breeding the astringency out in their new jam plums, what a stupid move. I have never tasted Mirabelle jam but I would like to try making some.

Scott

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Reine de Mirabelle is the one I was looking at. I've eaten Nancy and Metz Mirabelles as well but never cooked them. The Nancy is the one that tastes very sweet and makes excellent jam. It is also smaller in size. I already have one Italian plum and one green gage 'Reine Claude de Bavay'. The green gage makes excellent jam. I only have room for one more tree, so a Mirabelle it is! Looks like it will be Nancy. Thanks all. Wish I had room for a Damson, what flavor!

• Scott F Smith
    12 years ago

Mrs. G, my understanding is Reine de Mirabelle is a cross of a Mirabelle and a Gage plum.

Also Nancy is the large one and Metz is the small one (grosse / petite). In verifying this I also looked into the Metz vs Nancy reputation and I was not accurate above stating Nancy is the most famous, I did see that somewhere but I think that was just one persons opinion. I looked around for any recommendation of one over the other for jam and could not find anything. Plums of NY did rate Metz slightly better overall, and I also found a statement that it was sweeter and for jam/cooking only, while Nancy was not as sweet but was better for fresh eating. So maybe in fact Metz is a slightly better jam plum...

Scott

• Scott F Smith
    12 years ago

Well, look at the page below, it states Metz is better for jam and is the most famous. Feed it into Google translate if you can't read French.

Revision: I'm keeping my Metz only.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: Metz vs Nancy

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Scott, will now go back to my order and change it to Metz. What a wonder plum! The article also states its great for cholesterol and a laxative! I'll be sending you some jam! Thanks for straightening that out.

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    12 years ago

I haven't mirabelles, but I read a lot about them in french sites.
    My conclusion is that nurseries and grocery stores sell more easily the Nancy variety because it is bigger than Metz, but it is said that Metz tastes better and is more productive.

For example, look at this French nursery site:

Huchet nursery

They sell both varieties, but they say about Metz "it is melting flesh, sweet, very flavorful. It is more rustic, more resistant and more productive than Nancy variety"

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Axier, what a great great site. It is the small Mirabelle I am looking for. Merci! Mrs. G

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, what a picture. I wish we were all there with you eating those beauties! Now you've all confused me really well. How can a plum be too sweet, for jam? Guess its a matter of taste. Either one seems to be a winner! Konrad your photographs look like Switzerland. Just beautiful. Thank you so much for the terrific plum photograph. Oh my.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Thank you so much!
    This branch is growing on a tree I grafted many years ago with several other plums, also Green Gage, zone 5, at home by the house. For some reason, when all the stars line up at the right time I have fruit.
    If it was me, I would put in two trees...heck, you have one acre, don't you? LOL

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Time for a book of your pictures Konrad!

• murkwell
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous Konrad.

I have to find some Nancy Scions for this spring!

• Chantal Greenberg
    4 years ago

. I grew up with my aunt we lived in Nancy with a big orchid of mirabelliers, but Metz is not far from there