Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to pick persimmons?

Posted by keepitlow 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 13:38

Was trying to pick some of my small crop of persimmons. They are not easy to pick. Tried twisting them off and they keep turning and turning. I tried a fruit picker basket and it just about breaks some of the branches off. Should persimmons be cut off individually by hand? I never knew they were such a tough fruit to pick.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to pick persimmons?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 14:27

I cut mine with hand pruning shears. It's a tight fit but the blades slip in between the branch and the stem base that covers the top of the fruit. They just don't come off easily any other way.

o

Mine (Tam Kam) grow tight to the branch, I could never get a pruning shears in there. I use wire cutters.

o

If you try to pull them, the branches will break, as persimmon wood is brittle and/or the soft ones will squish in your hand. Yes, you have to cut them off.

Carla in Sac

o

with more persimmon trees than I need...I have no worries about cutting a small branch here and there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here