Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

Oct. peaches!

alan haigh
10 years ago

I picked the last of my Encores about 10 days ago and am eating them out of my fridge but they are certainly on their last legs. Scott recommended I try White Heath as a later peach and I purchased one that gave me fruit for the first time this year.

Picked most of them a few minutes ago and wanted to report that they are actually a very nice white peach. Huge range in size- all the way from tiny to small, but the texture is excellent and the flavor is quite good with a nice amount of acid and good aroma. Peachy.

Hopefully the quality will remain as the tree gets bigger- they have the potential of keeping me in fresh peaches through Oct or at least towards the end of it. Next year the tree should carry all I need.

Comments (7)

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

Cool, finally someone else is growing one of my favorite peaches! I love Heath Cling, they are white but have a rich flavor more like the yellow-fleshed peaches. There is something "extra peachy" about the flavor that is unique in them. It is more a cooking peach, maybe that is what scares people off; they are still good fresh if you like firmer peaches.

The harvest window is long on them, I think I still have a few hanging and have been picking them for three weeks or more already. I had thought they suffered from premature drop but it was all the OFM in them that was dropping them early. OFM love 'em. I also have variable size, but they have gotten bigger as the tree has gotten more mature.

For those in somewhat warmer climates Salwey is similar to Heath Cling but its even later. My original graft died and the replacement is still too small and the squirrels cleared it this year.

Scott

• alan haigh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also have three grafts of your wood going, two of which had peaches this year. I already mentioned the highly flavored early yellow peach but I also picked a couple of mid-season white peaches- it's labeled but I can't recall the name. It wasn't as pleasing to me as these other two from your personal roster of rare peaches. I think it is one that you didn't like much this year either. If it wasn't raining I'd go check the label.

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

That was Carman. It was great for two years but it was average last year. I think it needs lots of sun at ripening to be good, and this year it was rainy during that window. The early yellow was Clayton I think; its always at least good and can be great with good weather.

Speaking of weather, one thing I like about the late peaches is they are more consistently good than the midseason ones. Maybe they ripen more slowly in the cool, but still get sun in since they have lots more days to get it in on (and, its more sunny here in the fall).

Scott

• alan haigh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For me, the thing is to keep the fresh peaches coming as long as possible- apples and pears just don't appeal to me in the same way as breakfast food condiments.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"For me, the thing is to keep the fresh peaches coming as long as possible-"

Thanks for mentioning this peach. Sounds good! For now the strawberries, raspberries, and currants will have to do me (I'm still harvesting strawberries and raspberries). I have eaten only a few peaches this year. I managed to score a few good ones. I should have some of my own next year. I do like to cook with peaches. Speaking of cooking so many abandoned apple orchards around here, I can get as many apples as I want.They do have problems, but since I cook with them, I can salvage a lot.
    I discovered yet another orchard this year. Strange as I have been going past the area for 40 years. They made the road wider, and I saw many apples on the ground. Thus I discovered the remaining trees. It appears they took out a few trees but about 15 trees remain. Considering it was abandoned over 40 years ago, it was strange in that most of the trees were small. About 15 feet tall. The other orchards mostly have larger trees. One tree had hardly any bug damage and the apples were all tart. I never seen this type of apple, when you cut into it, the first inch of flesh was tinged pink. Nice and tart! Fantastic apples! Yeah apples usually are way too sweet for me.I guess some type of cooking apple? Most of the apples were gone when I discovered this orchard. Five or six apples were left on this one tree with the pink fruit, and only one had insect damage. The other 5 were flawless. This was in northern MI, Zone 4. In Cheboygan.
    Every tree seem a different cultivar. All the rest had some bug damage but much better than trees around my zone.
    A friend just bought 47 acres in St Clair county and he tells me it is yet another apple orchard. I have yet to see the property. The trees were described as huge. He said I can develop some of the land if I want. A temping offer!! Wow! I want to move to St Clair county, I just may take him up on the offer.. Heck one or two lots is all I would need to grow whatever. But I would need to maintain it. I have to think about it. I have to talk to him more, see what I can use, and it would be for free btw. Well I certainly would like to help him in anyway I can develop the property, otherwise I won't do it. Only a small portion is apple orchard. Some is undeveloped forest.

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

Harvestman, have you tried any of the other super-late peaches, like PF Big George, Fairtime, September Snow, or Autumn Prince? Along with Encore (and others), I planted Big George this spring, so maybe I'll get a taste next year. PF BG is supposed to be 19-23 days later than Encore (depending on the source).

• alan haigh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bob, I haven't, but let us know how they do. I will plant them if they flourish for you.